Sunday 21 April 2019

Undergoing Cataract Surgery, In Patient'sOwn Words..

Undergoing Cataract Surgery

Surgery is a difficult experience for most patients. Let me share with you the experience of one of my patents Mr G. I hope it will help others in preparing themselves or their loved one to undergo this procedure..


"..but Dr. Ravi allayed these anxieties. .... Before the surgery, Dr. Ravi explained to me that he had given me three drops .... as a precautionary measure. He also told me that I needed to focus on the three dots in the light that was focused on my right eye. He also requested me to inform him in case of discomfort or a need to cough or sneeze so that he could stop. He explained that I would feel discomfort in my eyes and soreness, which would gradually ease off. As the surgery progressed, I concentrated on those three dots and there was a brief period when the dots vanished and my eyes were flooded with a white light. I waited and soon the three dots re-emerged. Through the surgery, Dr. Ravi kept conversing with me in an even, calm voice and informed me of each stage in the procedure. This assured me that things were progressing smoothly. Soon, he informed me that the procedure was completed successfully .... He asked me about how far I lived and if I wanted to go home and return in the evening or stay in the ward so that he could check on me once again. I decided to stay back in the ward.


When I was brought back, I felt sore in my eye and it hurt a little too. I dozed off for a little while and woke up to a splitting headache. .... I also experienced nausea at this time. This condition continued for three hours and began to subside once the patch was removed and eye drops inserted. Dr. Ravi explained that the pain would subside with the eye drops and discharged me. He instructed me to put drops twice before bedtime and I followed these instructions. The pain and nausea subsided
during the night and I felt better the next morning. During my check up the next day, Dr. Ravi informed me that the surgery was successful and my vision is gradually returning. I am following his instructions for post-operative care and am hopeful of my recovery."

I thank Mr G for sharing his valuable experience. Mr G made complete recovery following surgery, followed instructions throughout and is enjoying blissful vision.

1 comment: